Is it time to replace the locks on your doors? These are the most common reasons to do so, and why:
- Wear and Tear: Rust inside the lock can lead to the key no longer aligning properly
- Recent Break-in: Damage to the door and/or lock can increase your home’s vulnerability, so new locks are a MUST in this event.
- New Roommate: Make sure former tenants cannot enter with a copy of the old key.
- House Shifting: This can prevent the deadbolt from aligning with the inlet in the door frame.
- Lost Keys: Don’t risk having the wrong person find a key to your home; best to replace the locks if you’ve lost a key.
Birdseye Construction offers several options for lock replacement. Locks are made several different ways, each design offering varying levels of security:
- Keyed Entry: When a key is required on the outside, and the inner knob has a simple thumb-latch. This is common and convenient, although a bit less secure than some of the alternatives.
- Single-Cylinder Deadbolt: When there is a keyhole on the outside and a latch on the inside, neither of which are connected to the knob itself. This is perhaps the most common design for external doors.
- Double-Cylinder Bolts: When a key is required to unlock the door from both the inside and the outside. This is good for use on doors with glass panels, as it prevents intruders from unlocking the door even if they’ve broken the glass.
- Mortise or Interconnected Lock: An integral deadbolt that allows you to ulock both the keyed deadbolt and the doorknob’s latchbolt from the inside. From the outside, unlocking still requires a key. This allows quicker exit from home in case of emergency.
The type of locks you choose will depend in a few different factors. The type of doors you home has, the reason(s), you’re replacing your locks, as well as other security measures you may also have in place- these are all things to consider when making your decision.
Call Birdseye Construction for a free consultation, and we can help you make the best choice in how to ensure your home’s safety and security. Read more about our other interior home services!